March 26, 2007

Whopsy frobscottle!

I've been reading Sam my favorite bed-time story, The BFG, for the past year and it's done the trick of getting her off to sleep quickly. We're almost to the end now; the Queen's Army and Air Force is off, ready to capture the nine human bean-gulping giants! As a child, I loved Quentin Blake's illustrations (he did a lot of work for Roald Dahl's books) and, during our engagement weekend, Sam and I got to see original art from The BFG when we visited The Eric Carle Museum of Picturebook Art. Great fun! It even had some of the depictions of what happens when you drink whopsy frobscottle . . . and you get whizpoppers!



So I had mentioned seeing a couple of potential spots for our wedding in New Hampshire this past weekend. Hate to say it but Sam and I had a terrible experience at the Castle in the Clouds, so there's no way we're having it there. It's was such a bummer, because I was so excited about it, but it was a disaster. The events coordinator didn't tell us about the secret rear entrance up the mountain, so we never ended up meeting her. Long story short, when we finally got to the secret meeting spot that she had never told us about, she was already gone. When we got in touch with her over the phone, she was rude and unapologetic . . . overall a nasty character. She stressed that it would take her all of ten minutes to get back to where we were, and had better things to do--this, after we had driven two hours to get there! My mind just boggled. So the next day I wrote a letter to the General Manager. What else can you do in a situation like that?

But with every bad experience, I tend to have a great experience. Don't know if it's how my Irish luck plays out, or if it's karma, or whatever. The next stop was the Bedford Village Inn, which ended up being the "gold standard" we'll be comparing to when looking at our other selections. I've taken video of it all (including the stunning scenery at the Castle in the Clouds), so maybe I'll post it on YouTube.

I got an email last week from a professor of mine, asking if I'd be interested in a cataloging job at a "well-known institution in downtown Boston." I put my name in the hat and ended up with an interview at the Boston Public Library. The job deals with cataloging fore-edge painted books from the Rare Book Department, which will then be digitized and available online. Sounds like interesting work, and the pay is pretty great too! So I'll be going in on Thursday--sounds like it'll be an informal meeting, so it seems like I've already got the job.

Last but not least, it's a new week! And I've got to keep my promise to post music. This week is The Smiths, with "Panic". A great clangy 80's English pop tune with a refrain we can all agree with--hope you enjoy!
hang the blessed DJ
because the music they constantly play
it says nothing to me about my life


No comments: