January 17, 2007

My church services

While I can't rightly call myself a Christian anymore, I still participate in what I consider church services, usually every Wednesday morning. What happens at that point is that I've been able to download Kevin Nutt's podcast of his weekly show, Sinner's Crossroads. Now, Kevin Nutt is from Georgia (I think) but the radio show is broadcast by WFMU, a Northern Jersey station known for its eclectic tastes. What is "Sinner's Crossroads" and why do I consider it my churching for the week? It's self-description says it best: "Scratchy vanity 45s, pilfered field recordings, muddy off-the-radio sounds, homemade congregational tapes and vintage commercial gospel throw-downs; a little preachin', a little salvation, a little audio tomfoolery." I've always enjoyed gospel music, which my parents can attest to. One of their favorite stories of me as a toddler is, while they would be getting ready for Sunday morning church, I would be downstairs watching the black Baptist church's television broadcast, raising my hands and testifying along with them. That and I would really get down to The Jefferson's theme song. "Sinner's Crossroad" is the only genuine gospel broadcast that I've been able to find--all the others are the glitzy modern gospel, or just confused about what gospel music really is (a mistake made where they think Michael W. Smith and his sappy ilk are gospel artists. Just because they're Christians--believers in the Gospel--doesn't make them gospel singers!). "Sinner's Crossroad" is the only place I'd expect to hear the Reverend C.L. Franklin preaching (Aretha's father), the only place where you can hear snake-oil salesmen hawking their wares, the only place where you can hear people gettin' sanctified.





Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: